What if I have license plates that I am no longer using or have lost?

Any plates that are not being used should be returned to the Department of Motor Vehicles as soon as possible. If the plates are not returned or cancelled they are listed as active until they expire and will continue to generate a tax bill. If you cannot find the plates or they are vanity plates that you want to keep, you must file a lost or stolen plate form with the DMV in order to cancel the registration.