What if I receive a tax bill for a vehicle I no longer own or have registered in another state?

-A A +A

The motor vehicle tax bill you receive in July 2017, is based upon the registration of that vehicle as of October 1, 2016. With the proper proof, your motor vehicle bill may be deleted if prior to October 1, 2016 or pro-rated if between October 1, 2016 and August 31, 2017 your motor vehicle was sold, destroyed, stolen or registered out of state and NOT REPLACED with another vehicle using the same license plate.

In order to make an adjustment you must provide two forms of proof to the Assessor. In addition to a plate receipt from DMV, one of the following forms of proof may be used.

  1. Copy of bill of sale
  2. Copy of title transfer
  3. Out of state registration
  4. Insurance company statement showing total loss 
  5. Junked vehicle receipt
  6. Copy of purchase agreement if traded in

If you still have the vehicle, it is still taxable. You are required by state statute to claim this as an unregistered vehicle on the personal property form that can be obtained in the Assessor's Office.